What documents do international lorry drivers need?


www.AutoVillage.co.uk If you are driving a commercial vehicle between countries (or you are travelling as a passenger), you will need to have certain documentation with you. This will allow you to legally travel through countries, and it means you won’t encounter any trouble.


Image Credit

Here is everything you will need to take with you if you are working as (or travelling with) an international lorry driver.

Your passport

The first thing that you will need to travel internationally is your passport. You will also need to make sure it isn’t about to expire; while most countries will accept a passport that is a few months away from expiring, other countries (such as Turkey) require there to be at least six months left on the passport. If you are travelling to a new country and you’re Car Leasing not sure if your passport will be okay, go online and check the ‘entry requirements’.

Any crew members or passengers will also need to bring their passports with them.

Your driver’s licence

You will also need to bring your driver’s licence with you. Make sure that you have the right kind of licence for your vehicle, as most lorries require an HGV licence.

Your current UK licence can be used in all EU countries and states, but if you are travelling to another area you should check that your licence will work – if not, you may need to apply for a temporary licence while you are there.


Image Credit


You will also need HGV Insurance for your vehicle, such as that available at https://www.quotemetoday.co.uk/hgv-insurance. All jurisdictions require drivers to have insurance for their vehicle. If you are not sure what type of insurance you need, speak to your employers to find out more.

An International driving permit

An International Driving Permit (also known as a IDP) will show the details of your driving license in various languages. This helps foreign officials to identify you, but it cannot be used in place of your driving license. You will need both with you if you are travelling abroad.

You may need a visa

You may also need a visa if you are travelling outside of the EU. You won’t need one if you are staying inside the EU however; your UK passport will be sufficient. However, you should always check the entry requirements before you set off!